Growing up as a minority in Canada, Sheena Yap Chan rarely saw images that looked like her in the media. Believing blond hair and blue eyes were the beauty standard left her with low confidence in herself and her value.
Recognizing the harmful impact of underrepresentation, Sheena created The Tao Of Self-Confidence podcast to amplify the voices of strong Asian women to inspire and break stereotypes. Over 800 episodes and 1 million downloads later, she has some incredible insight on how to be authentic, consistent, and successful as a podcaster. Listen in to learn more!
What we talk about in this episode:
- [1:02] How Sheena’s experience growing up as a minority in Canada led her to podcasting
- [4:02] Why Sheena only does interview-style episodes
- [5:54] Finding guests before you have a large following
- [9:28] The most important lesson learned in 5 years of podcasting
- [13:50] The moment that Sheena knew she had made an impact on her community
- [16:23] Why having a clear purpose is key to having confidence as a podcaster
- [20:55] The secret to reaching 1 million downloads
- [24:30] The benefit of creating a separate brand for your podcast
- [28:36] Which episode of The Tao Of Self-Confidence you should listen to right now
Sheena Yap Chan is a keynote speaker, coach, podcaster, consultant, and author on building self-confidence. She currently inspires women through her highly successful podcast called The Tao of Self Confidence where she interviews Asian women about their inner journey to self-confidence. Her mission is to help Asian Women boost their confidence to live their authentic selves, help Asian Women create a voice in the world, and create a stronger representation for Asian women. Sheena has been featured on MindValley, slice.ca, Marketing in Asia, Manila Times, and more. She is also the TOP 100 Filipinos to follow on LinkedIn for inspiration and learning in 2020. You can learn more about Sheena and connect with her on her website, iTunes, Spotify , and Stitcher.
Connect with Sheena
Want to get 1 million downloads for your podcast?
Join me for tomorrow’s episode where I’ll be talking about additional steps you can take to reach your goal of 1 million downloads, no matter where you are in your podcast journey. Check out the episode here.